Casual (On-Call) Public Works Labourer
The City of Duncan invites applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications, and abilities for the position of Labourer (On-Call). Under direct supervision, the successful candidate will perform a broad range of labouring duties in the routine maintenance of all facets of the Public Works Department.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
1. Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.).
2. Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence; a satisfactory current driver’s profile will be required.
3. Ability to perform physical labouring duties.
4. Ability to operate related maintenance tools and equipment.
5. Ability to communicate well with co workers and the public.
6. Ability to follow direction, use sound judgment, and work in a safe, efficient manner.
7. Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures.
The ideal candidate is well-organized, customer service focused, and keen to deliver high quality services to our community. The position may be physically demanding; the successful candidates may be required to undertake considerable lifting, walking and operation of small tools. A certificate of fitness attesting to the suitability for the positions may be required.
Preference will be given to candidates with a broad range of experience performing physical tasks.
There are no guaranteed minimum amount of hours, the purpose of this position is to fill unscheduled absences in the Department and as such will receive short notice when they are required to work.
This is a CUPE Union position with an hourly rate of $27.25 (2019 rate)
The above statements are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered as detailed descriptions of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Please submit your application by 4:30 p.m. (local time), February 22, 2019, to the attention of Emmet McCusker, Director of Public Works and Development Services, City Hall, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3 or by email to email@example.com (PDF is the preferred format).
To be considered for this position, please include the following information with your application:
- Cover letter (include date available)
- Resume detailing relevant work experience and education, including three references
- A current driver’s abstract (available free from ICBC: call 1-800-663-3051 or go to www.icbc.com)
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.