Public Works Summer Student: Parks (Temp. May – Aug. 2020) – Interviewing
The City of Duncan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the available position of Student Labourer in the Parks Department.
Each year the City of Duncan Public Works Department hires post-secondary students for seasonal employment. The duties will vary; however, can include general parks maintenance duties, parks machinery operation, garbage and litter pickup, painting, watering, and other general labouring duties as required.
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week, schedules will include work on weekends and shift work.
Because of the nature of the work, we prefer candidates with experience in labour-intensive jobs, such as landscape and grounds maintenance, farm labouring, painting, and use of related equipment, power tools and machinery. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time. This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) with a wage of $20.37 and will receive an additional 4% in lieu of vacation.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Registered as a full-time, post-secondary student during the current academic year (2019-2020) and returning to school full-time in the upcoming academic year (2020-2021).
- Possession and maintenance of a valid BC Driver’s Licence (Class 5 without novice driving restrictions); a satisfactory current driver’s abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
Candidates being considered may be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities.
Please submit your application by 3:30 p.m., on Friday, March 6th, 2020 by email email@example.com. In the Subject Line please put the name of the position you are applying for.
To be considered for this position, please include the following information with your application:
- cover letter (quote position title) demonstrating how your qualifications and experience would be beneficial to this position
- résumé detailing relevant work experience and education
- a current driver’s abstract (available free from ICBC, call 1-800-950-1498 or visit a driver licensing office)
- a current post-secondary transcript
Candidates will be selected based on how their skills, qualifications, abilities, and previous experience best meet the requirements listed in this posting.
No telephone inquiries please. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.Summer Student-Parks.pdf (42 downloads)