Casual (On-Call) Public Works Mechanic – Open
The City of Duncan invites applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications, and abilities for the position of Mechanic (On-Call). Under direct supervision of the Lead Mechanic, the successful candidate will perform a broad range of journey-level trade duties in the maintenance and repair of all equipment in the Public Works Department fleet.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence; a satisfactory current driver’s profile will be required.
- A Class 3 B.C. Driver’s license, and Air Endorsement would be assets
- Trades Qualification Certificate, Certificate of Apprenticeship in commercial transport, automotive, small engine and heavy-duty mechanics. Any or all qualifications will be considered.
- 5 years of related experience excluding apprenticeship.
- Ability to plan, organize and perform maintenance and repairs on gas and diesel vehicles.
- Ability to use on-line manuals and consult with dealership for warranty and repair information.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical problems, remove units/parts, inspect for wear or damage, make adjustments to ensure serviceability or replace parts.
- Ensure maintenance work and repairs are carried out in accordance with standard practices.
- Ability to weld and fabricate is an asset.
- Perform a variety of repair and maintenance tasks to equipment in the field.
- Must have sufficient health, physical conditioning, strength and coordination to permit performance of work in all types of weather.
- Successful candidate will be responsible for provision of basic hand tools.
The ideal candidate is organized, takes direction well, and keen to deliver a high standard of maintenance and repair services to our broad fleet of equipment.
Preference will be given to candidates with a wide range of mechanical experience and associated skills performing all duties required to work in a Fleet Maintenance environment.
The purpose of this position is to assist the Lead Mechanic when breakdowns, maintenance or scheduled repair require. While there are no guaranteed minimum amount of hours, attempts will be made to schedule some hours per week. However, due to the nature of the position, the Casual (On-Call) Mechanic may receive short notice due to emergencies or sick leave, and may be required to work weekends on occasion.
This is a CUPE Union position with a 2020 hourly rate of $ 34.59 plus 12% in lieu of holidays/benefits.
The above statements are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered as detailed descriptions of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Please submit your application by 3:30 pm, October 15, 2020, to the attention of Peter de Verteuil, Chief Administrative Officer, City Hall, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3 or by email to email@example.com (PDF is the preferred format).
To be considered for this position, please include the following information with your application:
- cover letter (include date available)
- résumé detailing relevant work experience and education, including three references
- a current driver’s abstract (available free from ICBC: call 1-800-663-3051 or go to www.icbc.com)
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.Casual (On-Call) Public Works Mechanic (19 downloads)