Public Works Labourer (Utility No. 1) – Full Time – Open
The City of Duncan invites applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications, and abilities for the position of Public Works Labourer (Utility No. 1).
Duncan is small, in a Big way. Just a few hundred metres off the Highway (about 60 kilometres north of Victoria) you’ll find 300 shops and services in a beautiful, walkable, compact downtown lined with over 40 world renowned totem poles. Within minutes of downtown are 5 golf courses, 15 wineries, lake and ocean waterfront, world class trails, cultural amenities, and all forms of indoor recreation. This compact City with a population of 5,000 people offers high quality living and acts as the commercial centre of a trading area serving a regional population of approximately 80,000 people.
The successful candidate will perform a broad range of labouring duties in the routine maintenance of all facets of the Public Works Department.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence; a satisfactory current driver’s profile will be required.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a Class 3 B.C. Driver’s licence may be required
- Ability to perform physical labouring duties
- Ability to operate related maintenance tools and equipment
- Ability to communicate well with co-workers and the public
- Ability to follow direction, use sound judgment, and work in a safe, efficient manner
- Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures
The ideal candidate is well-organized, customer service focused, and keen to deliver high quality services to our community. The position may be physically demanding, and the successful candidate may be required to undertake considerable lifting, walking, and operation of small tools. A certificate of fitness attesting to the suitability for the positions may be required.
As we are looking to potentially fill more than one position (each demanding specific skills), qualifications and experience related directly to one or more of the following fields will be an asset:
Construction and maintenance – Operation of heavy equipment such as loaders, dump truck, and backhoe. Experience forming and placing concrete, and small paving jobs. Routine maintenance skills, including carpentry, sign repair, line painting, and plumbing.
Parks – Horticulture experience, including turf grass maintenance, irrigation, tree pruning, flower bed and basket care as well as operation of mowers, and tractors.
Utilities – Maintenance and construction of municipal sewer and water infrastructure as well as operation of related heavy equipment.
Preference will be given to candidates with a wide range of experience performing physical tasks and operating tools/equipment used in construction, landscaping, and/or utilities.
The regular hours of work for this position are Monday-Friday 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, although there may be times when you will be required to work outside of that schedule as per the Collective Agreement.
This is a CUPE Union position with an hourly rate of $28.36* (2020 rate) based on 37.5 hours per week.
* EOCP or certification in water distribution and wastewater collection may qualify the applicant for certificate bonus in addition to the base labourer rate as per the Collective Agreement.
The above statements are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered as detailed descriptions of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Please submit your application, with the title of the job your are applying for, by 3:00 pm, October 5, 2020 to the attention of Peter de Verteuil, Chief Administrative Officer, City Hall (drop box preferred), 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (PDF is the preferred format).
To be considered for this position, please include the following information with your application:
- Resume detailing all qualifications and experience the applicant wishes to have considered
- Cover letter demonstrating how the qualifications and experience fit the applicant for the position
- Three work related references
- A current driver’s abstract (available free from ICBC: call 1-800-663-3051 or go to www.icbc.com)
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.Public Works Labourer (Utility No. 1) - Full Time (30 downloads)