Accounting Clerk (Temp. Full-Time 18-mo. Term)
The City of Duncan is seeking a qualified Accounting Clerk to cover an eighteen-month maternity leave.
Duncan is small, in a Big way. Just a few hundred metres off the Highway (about 60 kilometres north of Victoria) you’ll find 300 shops and services in a few beautiful walkable blocks enhanced by 40 world renowned totem poles. Within minutes of downtown are 5 golf courses, 15 wineries, lake and ocean waterfront, and world class trails. This compact city of just 5,000 people offers high quality living and acts as the commercial centre serving a population of approximately 80,000 people in the greater Duncan area and surrounding communities.
Reporting to the Manager of Financial Services, the primary responsibilities of this position are as follows:
- Performs entry of all accounts payable ensuring invoice coding is correct and vouchers have required back-up receipts, documentation, and authorization.
- Ensures all accounts payable are processed in a timely manner to avoid service charges, maintain credit ratings, and produce current costing information for all departments.
- Reviews supplier statements and follows up on items that are in arrears.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of complex tables, spreadsheets, and financial reports.
- Administers the City’s business licence function.
- As required, assists with a variety of property tax tasks including: annual tax sale; processing property tax notices, home owner grants, tax deferments and refunds; reconciling tax accounts; calculating property taxes, penalties and interest and other related functions.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual municipal reporting forms.
- Assists in the preparation of year-end working papers and annual audit requirements.
- Researches and assists with special projects or assignments as assigned.
- Supports the front desk clerk in answering the telephone, handling in-person inquiries and complaints, and processing payments as required.
- Assists other office staff as may be required.
- A minimum two years of experience in financial accounting, preferably in a municipal setting, with experience in accounts payable, property tax, accounts receivable and subsidiary ledgers, up to and including the trial balance, GST, and PST.
- Completion of an education program with diploma/certificate (education and experience will be considered).
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and ability to learn in-house software programs. Experience using Vadim would be an asset.
- Communication (verbal, written, listening).
This is a CUPE union position (35 hours weekly) with an hourly rate of $34.47 (2020 rate), plus 12% in lieu of benefits.
A complete resume of experience, qualifications, and references will be accepted until 4:00 pm, May 14, 2021 and should be submitted to the attention of Bernice Crossman, Director of Finance, City of Duncan, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC V9L 1W3 or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.2021-05-03-Accounting-Clerk-External-Posting-FINAL.pdf (8 downloads)