Two Totem Tour Guides – OPEN
The City of Duncan, in partnership with the Cowichan Valley Museum, is seeking two (2) enthusiastic individuals interested in becoming a Totem Tour Guide.
Reporting to the Curator/Manager of the Cowichan Valley Museum, you will be accountable for the delivery of a meaningful and captivating interpretive program about the City’s totem collection. Your primary responsibilities will be to educate, engage, and create memorable visitor experiences. You must possess exceptional presentation and communication skills with an ability to adapt to the needs and interests of the audience.
In this role, you must be able to commit the program to memory and deliver it in a natural relaxed manner connecting on a personal level with visitors, while engaging people in the experience. You will also be required to provide support to the Information Centre located at Cowichan Valley Museum in the Duncan Train Station.
To be well suited to the role you will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- Ability to learn historical information and interpret it to large numbers of people from a wide range of ages and backgrounds including youth, seniors and international visitors
- Exceptional verbal communication skills; an articulate speaker with an ability to creatively embody the story
- Reliable and able to work under limited supervision
- Excellent personal attributes that include, but are not limited to, energetic, team player, able to embrace change
- Ability to react quickly to emerging situations, respond to customer’s concerns, skillfully resolve problems, handle complaints, and when appropriate, seek the support of a higher level of management
- Previous experience in customer service, communications, or tourism will be considered an asset.
This is a temporary position beginning July 22, 2022, working 3.5 days per week, until September 2022. The hourly wage is $16.00 an hour plus 4% holiday pay.
Applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and detailed resume, containing full details of education, training and experience, date available, and three references, by 4:00 p.m. Friday, July 15, 2022 to the attention of City of Duncan, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org