2022 General Local Election – Notice of Nomination
PUBLIC NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that nominations for the offices of:
- Mayor (One Mayor to be elected); and
- Councillor (Six Councillors to be elected)
will be received by the Chief Election Officer or a designated person, from 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, August 30, 2022 to 4:00 p.m. Friday, September 9, 2022, as follows:
- By hand, mail or other delivery service to: 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC
- By fax to: 250.746.6129
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination documents for Mayor and Councillor are now available at the City Hall during regular office hours, from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding statutory holidays, until the close of the nomination period. Please book an appointment to review the nomination packages with the Chief Election Officer or Deputy Chief Election Officer.
NOTE: originals of faxed or emailed nomination documents must be received by the Chief Election Officer by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, September 16, 2022.
Qualifications for Office
A person is qualified to be nominated, elected, and to hold office as a member of local government if they meet the following criteria:
- Canadian citizen; and
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day [Saturday, October 15, 2022]; and
- resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed [March 8, 2022 or earlier]; and
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election in British Columbia or being nominated for, being elected to or holding the office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Campaign Period Expense Limits
In accordance with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, for the 2022 general local election, the following expense limits for candidates during the campaign period apply:
- Mayor $10,797.83
- Councillor $5,398.92
Third Party Advertising Limits
In accordance with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, for the 2022 general local elections, the following third party advertising limits apply:
- Third party advertising limit: $809.84
- The cumulative advertising expense limit is $161,967.47 and applies to directed and issue advertising in all election areas. The total value of advertising sponsored cannot exceed this limit.
For further information on the nomination process, please contact:
Paige MacWilliam, Chief Election Officer, or Allison Boyd, Deputy Chief Election Officer
For further information on campaign period expense limits and third party advertising limits, please contact Elections BC:
Toll-free phone: 1-855-952-0280