Civil Engineering or Technologist Student (Co-Op)
The City of Duncan invites applications from currently enrolled full-time student candidates with the aptitude and abilities to contribute as a Civil Engineering or Technologist Student for a 4 or 8 month Co-Op term starting in January 2024.
Duncan is small, in a Big way. Just five hundred metres off the Highway (about 60 kilometres north of Victoria) you’ll find 300 shops and services in a few beautiful, walkable, compact downtown blocks lined with 40 world renowned totem poles. Within minutes of downtown are 5 golf courses, 15 wineries, lake and ocean waterfront, world class trails, cultural amenities, and all forms of indoor recreation. This compact city of 5,000 people offers high quality living and acts as the commercial centre serving a population of approximately 80,000 people.
Reporting to the Manager of Engineering and working closely with the Senior Engineering Technologist, the Civil Engineering or Technologist Student (Co-Op) will contribute to the effective operation of the Engineering Department by assisting with technical and administrative work related to the completion of a variety of engineering activities and projects.
Specifically, the Civil Engineering or Technologist Student (Co-Op) will be working on a “Water Asset Inventory Refinement” project. Familiarity with basic database concepts, Autodesk Map3D, Office 365 and Feature Manipulation Engine (FME) will be an asset.
Necessary skills and qualifications include:
- Current enrollment in Civil Engineering, Applied Science (Civil) Technology, or related field.
- Student-level knowledge of engineering, survey, subdivision, and drafting terminology, principles, practices, and techniques.
- Knowledge of Municipal Bylaws, Departmental Policies, and Procedures is an asset.
- Student-level proficiency in Auto-CAD, Auto-CAD Map 3D, MS Office, ArcGIS, Database, and Engineering Application Programs; Proficiency in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) would be an asset.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid BC Driver’s License (Class 7 Minimum); a satisfactory current Driver’s Abstract will be required.
A cover letter, complete resume of experience, qualifications, drivers abstract (where applicable, available at ICBC.com), and three references should be submitted to the attention of Human Resources at HR@duncan.ca. Applications will be accepted until November 30, 2023.
This is a CUPE Bargaining Unit position. The rate for this position is $20.78/hr. (Student Rate – First Year).
The dates of employment are anticipated to be January – April 2024 or January – August 2024.
We thank all applicants, but only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.