Council Update – January 15, 2024
The City of Duncan Council Update is a snapshot of items considered at meetings of Council. These are not the official minutes. Meeting agendas, minutes, and videos can be accessed through the City’s Council Meeting Portal.
- Cowichan Climate Hub representatives presented to Council on the Zero Carbon Step Code.
- Cowichan Restorative Justice Society provided an overview of their organization in connection to their funding request. Council referred the funding request to the January 26, 2024 Committee of the Whole meeting.
- Council received the report of the Chief Administrative Officer that included updates on a number of City initiatives.
- Council awarded a contract to Leuco Construction Inc. to install a new 3 metre-wide asphalt multi-use pathway along the east side of the Trans-Canada Highway between the Silver Bridge and 140 Trans-Canada Highway that will offer pedestrians, cyclists, and people with other mobility devices a safer and more comfortable route.
- Council approved investments in the Duncan Fire Department that will support Fire Hall maintenance (Fire Hall exhaust extraction system) and operations (Fire Department software). The Duncan Fire Department is currently recruiting paid-on-call firefighters to join our team.
- As part of the Station Street Placemaking Project, Council awarded a contract to Nexus Modular Solutions to build and install an accessible, two-unit washroom building.
- Council gave early 2024 Budget approval to a number of time-sensitive items for Public Works & Engineering. Council’s next budget session is scheduled for January 26, 2024 at noon. 2024 Budget information is available online.
- Council approved an update to the City’s Communications Plan. The revised Duncan Communications Plan describes the communication tools the City uses to engage with the community, and standards the City follows.
- Council proclaimed June 11, 2024 as Kiwanis Day in the City of Duncan.
There will be a joint meeting with North Cowichan Council on January 23 at 10:00 am at Duncan City Hall.