Streets & Parks Patroller (Full-Time)
Duncan is small, in a Big way. Just a few hundred metres off the Highway (about 60 kilometres north of Victoria) you’ll find 300 shops and services in a few beautiful walkable blocks. Come join our dynamic team that focuses on community, positive change, and continuous improvement in our Bylaw Services delivery. At the City of Duncan our people are our greatest asset.
The City of Duncan invites applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications, and abilities for the position of Streets and Parks Patroller. As a part of Council’s Safer Community Plan initiative, in conjunction with the other duties outlined below, this position will assist in addressing public safety concerns.
You will be responsible for conducting enforcement patrols, in an effective, efficient manner, conforming to the City’s policies and procedures. You will liaise and coordinate with the other Streets and Parks Patrollers, Bylaw Officers and Security Ambassadors on bylaw enforcement matters. The ideal candidate will possess strong dispute resolution skills and have experience dealing with people in difficult situations. This position requires someone with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.).
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence; a satisfactory current driver’s profile will be required.
- Ability to ride a bicycle in traffic and on pathways.
- Ability to walk or ride a bicycle for up to 9.5 hours and work outside in all weather conditions.
- Experience in the enforcement of municipal bylaws or a related area.
- Ability to prepare and maintain various reports and records and perform related clerical work.
- Ability to communicate well with co-workers and to deal tactfully, firmly, and fairly with the public.
- Ability to follow direction, work independently, and use sound judgment.
- Training and experience dealing with difficult and angry persons in an enforcement atmosphere and the ability to diffuse hostility.
This position offers training opportunities and flexible work hours and duties. A work schedule will be negotiated, which may include a compressed 4-day workweek and shifts outside of regular work hours (evenings, nights, mornings, and weekends). This is a CUPE Union position with an hourly range of $23.00 to $25.00, depending on experience (2023 rate) based on 37.5 hours per week.
The position may be physically demanding; candidates must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
The above statements are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered as detailed descriptions of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their detailed cover letter (including date available to start), a current driver’s abstract (available free from ICBC: call 1-800-663-3051 or go to www.icbc.com) and resume to the attention of Human Resources, City of Duncan, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3 or by email to email@example.com.
This is an open until filled posting. Applications will be considered starting on January 22, 2024. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.