Council Update – February 5, 2024
The City of Duncan Council Update is a snapshot of items considered at meetings of Council. These are not the official minutes. Meeting agendas, minutes, and videos can be accessed through the City’s Council Meeting Portal.
- Council received the report of the Chief Administrative Officer that included updates on a number of City initiatives.
- Council approved an update to its Code of Conduct policy, which provides guidance on Council member conduct according to the principles of integrity, accountability, respect, and leadership and collaboration.
- Council approved the 2024 Tourism Advisory Committee’s budget. The Tourism Advisory Committee provides advice and recommendations to Council on implementing the Tourism Marketing Plan (2022). More information on Council committees is available on the City’s website.
- Council discussed the new provincial legislation that requires the City to amend its zoning bylaw to comply with the Province’s small-scale multi-unit housing legislation. City staff will prepare the required zoning bylaw amendment for Council consideration before the June 30, 2024 deadline.
- Council considered a report on the impact of Fail to Appear charges on the policing statistics for the City of Duncan, and its resulting impact on the policing costs the City is required to pay. Council approved a resolution to be forwarded to the 2024 Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities Annual General Meeting and Convention for consideration, urging the Province of BC to exclude Fail to Appear charges from the policing statistics of municipalities with courthouses, considering that Fail to Appear cases have no effect on the workload of the local detachment.
- Council approved a policy offering greater clarity on the application of the City’s FOI fee for Access to Records requests as recommended by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
The next Regular Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 20, 2024.