Public Works Labourer 1 or Labourer 2 – CLOSED – Applications Under Review
The City of Duncan invites applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications, and abilities for the position of Public Works Labourer 1 or 2.
Duncan is small, in a Big way. Just a few hundred metres off the Highway (about 60 kilometres north of Victoria) you’ll find 300 shops and services in a beautiful, walkable, compact downtown lined with over 40 world-renowned totem poles. Within minutes of downtown are 5 golf courses, 15 wineries, lake and ocean waterfront, world-class trails, cultural amenities, and all forms of indoor recreation. This compact City with a population of 5,000 people offers high-quality living and acts as the commercial centre of a trading area serving a regional population of approximately 80,000 people.
The successful candidate will perform a broad range of labourer duties in the routine maintenance of all facets of the Public Works Department, including assisting with the installation and maintenance of various water distribution components, storm drains, and sanitary sewers.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.).
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with a water utility or wastewater collection.
- Labourer 1 will require EOCP Level 1 Certification in water distribution and/or wastewater collection.
- Labourer 2 will require EOCP Level 2 Certification in water distribution OR EOCP Level 2 Certification in wastewater collection combined with EOCP Level 1 Certification in water distribution.
- Maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence; with a satisfactory driver’s abstract.
- Ability to acquire and maintain valid air brake endorsement.
- Ability to perform physical labourer duties.
- Ability to operate related maintenance tools and equipment.
- Ability to communicate well with co-workers and the public.
- Ability to follow directions, use sound judgment, and work in a safe, efficient manner.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures.
- Willingness to undertake additional training relating to the duties of the position.
- **Consideration may be given to candidates that possess applicable Municipal Utilities experience or that qualify for the EOCP program and certification.
The ideal candidate is well-organized, customer service-focused, and keen to deliver high-quality services to our community. The position may be physically demanding, and the successful candidate may be required to undertake considerable lifting, walking, and operation of small tools. A certificate of fitness attesting to the suitability for the positions may be required.
Preference will be given to candidates with a wide range of experience performing physical tasks and operating tools/equipment used in other municipal departments, such as maintenance and parks, in addition to the required experience in water and sewer operations. Experience operating heavy machinery such as loaders, dump trucks, and backhoes would be an asset.
The regular hours of work for these positions are 37.5 hours per week from Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, although there may be times when you will be required to work outside of that schedule as per the Collective Agreement.
This is a CUPE Union position with an hourly rate of $30.70* (2024 rate) for Labourer 1 or $33.76* (2024 rate) for Labourer 2 based on 37.5 hours per week and EOCP certification plus certificate premiums of $0.55* (2024 rate) per applicable certificate level held.
* EOCP or equivalent certification in water distribution, wastewater collection, and chlorine handling should qualify the applicant for certificate bonuses in addition to the base rate as per the Collective Agreement.
The above statements are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered detailed descriptions of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Please submit your application by 3:30 pm, February 19, 2024, to the attention of Nathalie Viau, Operations Manager, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (PDF is the preferred format).
To be considered for this position, please include the following information with your application:
- Resume detailing all qualifications and experience the applicant wishes to have considered.
- Cover letter demonstrating how the qualifications and experience fit the applicant for the position.
- Three work-related references.
- A current driver’s abstract (available free from ICBC: call 1-800-663-3051 or go to www.icbc.com).
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.