The City-Wide Façade Improvement Program (FIP) is a City of Duncan initiative to promote business revitalization by encouraging building owners to invest in storefront upgrades. The objective of this program is to make significant improvements to the appearance of our streetscapes while creating an enjoyable walking environment. This program targets businesses outside of the Downtown Duncan Business Improvement Area, which has a similar program for their membership.
Council approved $10,000 in 2021 for the Façade Improvement Program, and has recently approved the same for 2022, which may provide a grant up to 50% of the cost of eligible improvements to a maximum of $1,000 per application, per project, per year. Applicants will be assessed and approved on a first come first served basis.
- The applicant may be a business or property owner in the City of Duncan and outside of the Duncan Downtown Business Improvement Area. A tenant will require the building owner’s consent on the application.
- All property tax, utilities, and business licence fees must be paid for the current year.
Eligible Façade Improvements
The Façade Improvement Program is primarily focused on the appearance of the properties in relationship to the street, the storefront, or thoroughfare. Eligible improvements may renovate, restore or re-design business frontages including:
- Exterior architectural or decorative details such as moldings/trims/cornices
- Windows and window openings, including awnings
- Exterior lighting to building and/or doorway openings
- Signage (excluding sandwich boards)
- Façade repairs and painting
- Landscaping elements
- Patio spaces
Façade improvements may require a Development Permit, depending on the extent of the work being considered. Applicants may also need to obtain necessary Building and/or Sign Permits.
Questions? Please contact the Planning Department by email: email@example.com or phone: 250-746-6126