2018 Local Government Election Notice
Are you a non-resident property owner eligible to vote in the October 20th election for the City of Duncan Mayor and Council? Is your name on the current list of non-resident property electors? If you are not sure if you are eligible, please call, visit or email City Hall.
Non-Resident Property Electors
Advance non-resident elector registrations will be accepted at the City of Duncan office until 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, August 28, 2018. Non-resident elector registration will not be accepted during the period of August 29, 2018 to October 19, 2018, 4:00 p.m., but will be accepted on voting days.
A person may register as a non-resident property elector only in relation to one parcel of real property in the City, if all of the following apply:
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day for the election;
- a Canadian citizen;
- a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
- a registered owner of real property in the City of Duncan for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration;
- the only persons who are registered owners of the property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, are individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust;
- not entitled to register as a resident elector;
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election or assent voting and not otherwise disqualified by law; and
- if there is more than one registered owner of the property, only one of those individuals may, with the written consent of the majority of the owners, register as a non-resident property elector.
List of Registered Electors
Beginning September 4, 2018, until the close of general voting for the election on October 20, 2018, a copy of the list of registered electors will be available for public inspection at the City of Duncan office at City Hall, 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, during regular office hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays). Before inspecting the list, a person must sign a statement that they will not inspect the list or use the information included in the list except for the purposes of Part 3 – Electors and Elections of the Local Government Act. An elector may request that their address or other information about them be omitted from or obscured on the list of electors.
Objection to Registration of An Elector
An objection to the registration of a person whose name appears on the list of registered electors may be made in accordance with the Local Government Act until 4:00 p.m. on Friday, September 14, 2018. An objection must be in writing and may only be made by a person entitled to be registered as an elector of the City of Duncan and can only be made on the basis that a person whose name appears on the list of electors has died or that a person whose name appears on the list of electors is not qualified to be registered as an elector of the City of Duncan.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on these matters, please contact the Chief or Deputy Chief Election Officer in-person at 200 Craig Street, between 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), or by calling 250-746-6126 or by emailing email@example.com.