Building Permits & Inspection

A Building Permit, when required, must be issued before any work can take place. To determine if a building permit is required, please view Do I Need a Building Permit?

If you are unsure if you require a Building Permit, please contact the Development Services Department (Building Inspector) at 250-746-6126 for assistance determining which permits you need and for help navigating through the process.  In addition, we may be able to provide you with historical information about your property. To review property files for which you are not the registered owner, an Authorization of Agent form will need to be completed.

It is important to note that other processes may need to occur prior to getting a Building Permit.  The scope of work you are proposing, the zoning, property use and other factors may require you to first obtain a Development Permit. Development Permits need to be approved before the Building Permit can be issued so an early determination of these requirements is essential to ensure a streamlined process.

Work on City Property

Businesses, contractors, and residents wishing to work within the city streets, boulevards, rights-of-way, sidewalks, or lanes must first obtain a Work on City Property Permit. This includes the placement of work equipment – such as scaffolding, dumpsters and cranes – on city property.

For other aspects of building regulations please contact the agencies below:

WorkSafe BC1-250-704-4218
Technical Safety BC (Gas & Electrical Permits)1-866-566-7233
Vancouver Island Health Authority250-737-2010
Homeowner Protection Office1-604-646-7050
Building Codes & Standards