2021 Home Owner Grant – Centralized Location
On Tuesday, December 8, 2020, the B.C. government introduced legislation to amend the Home Owner Grant Act.
These amendments are the first step to centralizing the home owner grant program for the 2021 tax year. The proposed amendments do not change the eligibility criteria for the program. Regulations are required to enable the Province to begin accepting applications.
What this means:
- The Province will be entirely responsible for the home owner grant program for the 2021 tax year.
- All home owners will apply directly to the Province online or over the phone.
- The provincial application will be available early in 2021, subject to the deposit of the regulations. Work on the regulations is currently underway.
- Starting January 1, 2021, the City can no longer accept retroactive or new applications for the grant and instead direct homeowners to www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant or call 1-888-355-2700 to speak with an agent.
Centralizing this program within the B.C. government will:
- Ensure homeowners receive the grant amount they are eligible for, such as the additional grant for seniors or persons with a disability.
- Automate the approval process for grants resulting in quicker application processing – this will help prevent ineligible homeowners from being penalized for late property tax payment.
- Remove an administrative burden from municipalities.
- Increase tax compliance, ensuring people are paying the right amount of tax.
Questions? Please contact the Provincial Property Taxation Branch:
Toll Free: 1-888-355-2700