Nov. 18, 2021 Update: Flood response efforts continue across Cowichan
Flood response efforts continue across Cowichan, flood support centre opening today
DUNCAN, BC – The Regional Emergency Operations Centre (REOC) is still actively coordinating flood response across the Cowichan region, including establishing recovery centre where impacted residents will find support and resources.
An initial flood support centre will open Thursday, November 18 and Friday, November 19 in the Cowichan Tribes gymnasium at 5575 River Road from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. Staff from the Cowichan Tribes, the Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD), and Red Cross will be on hand to provide materials for flood clean-up, information on applying for financial assistance, and other support for impacted residents. The recovery centre is open to support flood impacted residents from all jurisdictions in the region.
Staff from CVRD, North Cowichan and other local governments continue to be active in assessing public infrastructure, including bridges, water and sewer systems, and parks and trails. Damage assessments to residential properties are ongoing in areas subject to evacuation orders and in those neighbourhoods where residents have reported flooding to the REOC.
The Cowichan Community Centre will be open again on Thursday operating as a reception centre, and any flood-impacted residents who were required to evacuate and have not yet checked-in and registered are encouraged to do so. Residents are also reminded to limit travel outside the region to essential travel only, and follow DriveBC for updates to closures and openings of highways and major roads.
The State of Local Emergency for the Cowichan region remains active, and applies to areas of the Cowichan Valley Regional District, the Municipality of North Cowichan, City of Duncan, Cowichan Tribes, Halalt First Nation and Penelakut Tribe
Visit the CVRD’s website for full details: https://www.cvrd.ca/
• Drive BC – Cowichan Valley – https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/752.html
• Drive BC – Flooding Updates – https://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/events/VancouverIsland.htmlfbclid=IwAR3yvl5LHEOObcvRf9Taq9zKx5038FREuMaph7GUem2DJEGxuoKt1yTlIHM
• Emergency Info BC – Flood updates – https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca
• Emergency Info BC – Flood Warnings & Advisories – http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/warnings/index.htm• CVRD – News page – https://www.cvrd.ca/CivicAlerts.aspx?CID=26
• CVRD – Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/mycvrd/
• BC Hydro outages – https://www.bchydro.com/power-outages/app/outage-list.html#current-1812901382