CVRD Climate Change Adaptation and Risk Management Strategy
To anticipate and prepare for the increasing and potential effects of climate change in the Cowichan Valley, the Cowichan Valley Regional District has committed to taking “progressive and innovative steps to achieve the vision of the Climate Change Adaptation and Risk Management Strategy… to make the region a more resilient place to live, work, and play.” Overarching goals guide the Strategy, while four theme areas divide it into actionable goals.
- Build upon the CVRD’s current work on climate change adaptation and hazard preparedness;
- Increase the resilience of infrastructure, programs and services to the changing climate in the Cowichan region;
- Protect the health, prosperity, and well-being of residents, especially vulnerable populations, to climate extremes;
- Foster sustainable development and economic growth, while ensuring that natural assets continue to provide the resources and environmental services on which our well-being relies;
- Protect, conserve, and improve terrestrial and aquatic ecosystem health from the impacts of climate change; and
- Improve the awareness, knowledge, skills and resources of government, citizens and business people regarding climate adaptation.
- Resilient Grey and Green Infrastructure.
- Community Health and Emergency Management.
- Green Growth and Sustainable Development.
- Ecosystems and Bioregional Carrying Capacity.
If you would like to learn more about the CVRDs Climate Change Adaptation and Risk Management Strategy the full plan can be found here.